Re: X freezes!

Paul@Mills-USA.com (W. Paul Mills) writes:
| Stefano Stabilini <ldpu@cdc8g5.cdc.polimi.it> writes:
| > I am a brand newbie to Linux.
| >
| > I followed Debian's slink 2.1 standard installation and used dselect
| > afterwards to add X server and clients. Linux sits on my first hd in
| > partitions hda3 (linux) and hda4 (swap), the first two partitions are
| > Dos16-big and host win 95. I successfully configured LILO so as to
| > choose starting OS at booting time (that i am quite proud of...).
| >
| > My problems came with the installation of the X server: i tried first to
| > get it from XFree86.org, and XF86Setup'd it, but it would only start the
| > VGA16 server. Then i realized that i could download and install X via
| > dselect, which i did overwriting previous installation.
| >
| > I have a Cirrus Logic GD5465 AGP chipset with 4MB RAM and a HP D2817A
| > Ultra VGA monitor, so i am using the SVGA X server, which gets started
| > directly on boot. I configured it with XF86Setup again, leaving RAMDAC,
| > VRAM and clockchip to be probed and i chose an 800x600 16bpp resolution
| > for the monitor.
| >
| > The server and client started smoothly, i am able to change video mode,
| > but after a few minutes' work everything freezes and i am no more able
| > to even Ctrl-Alt-Bksp or Ctrl-Alt-Del. Actually the only means i found
| > to get unstuck without powering-off is rebooting via telnet from another
| > machine.
|
| Are you running xdm? If so:
|
| /etc/init.d/xdm stop
|
| followed by:
|
| /etc/init.d/xdm start
|
| should restart X without rebooting the machine.

Also, you can switch to a different virtual console with the
Ctrl+Alt+F# key sequence, where "#" is replaced with 1 through 6, thus
avoiding going to another machine and telnetting in.

| Why the lockups -- I do not know, but would suspect that something
| from your previous installation of X is lingering around and causing
| problems.
[big sig deleted]

Sounds like a reasonable guess, it could also be an I/O or interrupt
conflict somewhere. Good idea to check your logs to see if anything
shows up in there (files in /var/log).

Gary