Re: system shutdown from xdm

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Dave Whiteley wrote:

> I have made the user "shutdown"'s shell a script which calls the
> shutdown command. However xdm does not seem to run this script.

Thats because X does not run the shell that is specified in /etc/passwd.
Instead, it starts the first window manager in /etc/X11/window-managers or
it runs ~/.xsession - as has been suggested, you can run your script from
this file.

> Is the whole idea a bad one?   If not, what am I doing wrong.

Not a Bad Idea (tm).... but I dont use xdm. kdm has a button "Shutdown"
which kinda makes it easy.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

                      3 dreaded words:  hard disk failure