Old Unix 'compress' (.Z) utility?

 I can't seem to find a version of the old Unix 'compress' utility, that
generates .Z files. I know that gzip provides better compression, and
can uncompress .Z files, but it won't work for me.

 I'm exporting some files to Minix, and Minix doesn't have a gzip port for
all versions. I seem to recall that the compress algorithm has some patent
issues, but even so, I thought it was still allowed. A search on
www.debian.org does not turn anything up, even in non-free. Any hope for a
Debian package, or should I look elsewhere?

 Sincerely,

 Ray Ingles          (248) 377-7735         ray.ingles@fanucrobotics.com

 "[B]eing able to break security doesn't make you a hacker any more than
     being able to hotwire cars makes you an automotive engineer."
                    - Eric Scott Raymond