lilo, map and system.map

|> So the question is:
|> Is the map file that is mentioned in lilo.conf not the same file
|> as the Syetm.map file, and am I supposed to place the System.map
|> file in a special location without lilo's knowledge?

These are different files with different functions. The /boot/map file
is a file maintained by lilo which contains the name and location of
the kernel(s) that are available on your systen. If you run lilo -q it
will list the names it finds there (the names you have defined in
/etc/lilo.conf).

System.map is used by some programs to find things that they need. It
plays no paricular role (as far as I know) in the boot process.

The standard procedure is to make a symlink between /System.map and
/boot/System.map-x.y.z (assuming that you're using the x.y.z kernel).
If you have more than one kernel on the system, you're supposed to
have a System.map-x.y.z file in /boot for each kernel x.y.z that you
want to be able to boot.

Jim