Re: system shutdown from xdm

Dave Whiteley asked how to let a normal user shut down a Debian box and in
reply...

On Wed, 28 Apr 1999, Richard Harran wrote:

[snip:  How to make CTRL-ALT-DEL do a shutdown for a normal user]
> This works for me, but I don't use xdm, so I cannot comment on whether
> reason why, IMHO, xdm is pants.

CTRL-ALT-DEL does nothing in xdm. However you can do CTRL-ALT-F1 to switch
to a text console and immediately do CTRL-ALT-DEL to shut down (assuning
it is set up as Richard describes) . So someone in Dave's position (like
me) can tell their non-root users to hold down CTRL and ALT and press DEL
and F1 in succession. Alternatively you can install KDE and you will find
that its login manager, kdm, has a little "shutdown the machine" menu.

In either case, make sure they know to wait for the "power down" or
"system halted" message before they hit the power off switch.

HTH!

Hugh

Hugh C. Pumphrey, Dept. of -    | Tel. 0131-650-6026,Fax:0131-650-5780
Meteorology, Univ. of Edinburgh | Replace 0131 with +44-131 if outside U.K
EDINBURGH EH9 3JZ, Scotland     | Email hcp@met.ed.ac.uk