Re: atx and fan (noise) control

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 11:33:55AM -0700, Jinsong Zhao wrote:

> One annoying thing is that the fan is always on, making the room very
> noisy. Before buying an ATX, is it possible to turn off the fan on a
> command line?

Which fan?  Most modern systems have at least 2 fans and sometimes 4 or
more.  You have/may have the following:

Power supply fan
cpu fan
case fan
video card fan (yech)

The solution to the first three is to buy high quality quiet components to
begin with.  PC Power & Cooling makes very quiet power supply and cpu fans
that you should consider.  The solution to the forth is not to buy a video
card that needs a fan.

As for turning the fans on & off, about the only ones you have much hope to
control are the cpu and case fans.  The fans and motherboard will need to
have the newer 3 wire connectors (rather than just using a drive power
connector).  You will also need a motherboard/chipset that is supported.
There is a Linux hardware monitor project dealing with this but I don't have
the link handy at the moment.  If noone else comes up with the link I'll dig
it up.

--
Ray
maillists@sonictech.net