Re: R: 10Gb drive - only 8Gb accessible

On Tue, 27 Apr 1999, Ray wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 10:18:08AM -0500, Keith G. Murphy wrote:
> > >
> > Is there software like MaxBlast or EZBios that comes with the disk?
> > Debian 2.0 is working well for me with a disk with EZBios on it.
> [snip]

> It's much better to try to get a bios update for your motherboard or
> a controller that has a bios built in.  For Linux you can specify
> the geometry directly if you must.  For Windows, you may need an
> update from MS to get it to deal with large drives (depending on
> what revision of Windows is being used) even with a bios upgrade.

I've a machine with a very recent bios, that has a 10.2 Gig IDE Hd,
and Linux and Win 98 both knew about the full drive capacity.

I think Keith and other who recommend updating the bios by a flash
download or by getting a new motherboard are probably right.

--David
David Teague, dbt@cs.wcu.edu
Debian GNU/Linux Because the software support is be free, timely,
                 useful, technically accurate, and friendly.
		 (Hoping this is all of the above.)