lost sound after changing video card

I don't think that these should be related, but I've lost my sound after
changing video cards.

eyry:/home/hawk# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
ne                      5372   1
8390                    5944   0  [ne]

eyry:/home/hawk# modprobe sb
/lib/modules/2.2.6/misc/sb.o: init_module: Device or resource busy
sound: Device or resource busy
eyry:/home/hawk# lsmod
Module                  Size  Used by
uart401                 5588   0
sound                  54380   0  [uart401]
soundcore               2100   3  [sound]
ne                      5372   1
8390                    5944   0  [ne]

sound was working, and even autoloading, right until i rebooted (I'm
pretty sure i was under the same kernel; i had to reboot fairly often
due to X crashing & contaminating withtheis screwball videocard).

i'm sure that I'm missing something simple here . . .

rick