Re: Fixing dpkg database after disk crash

On Tue, Apr 27, 1999 at 08:02:14PM +0200, Helge Hafting wrote:
> I was able to fix /var/lib/dpkg/info/available
> because there was a backup.
Wouldn't running apt-get update remake that file anyway?

> But some other files was ruined, such as emacs19.list
> and ed.list  dpkg would not run because of that, so
> I moved the offending files away from the directory.
> dpkg is now usable, but complains that these files
> are missing.  Can I restore them in any way,
> without reinstalling debian?
You could:
1) Remove and reinstall ed and emacs19.
2) Simply do :>ed.list and :>emacs19.list.  This would keep dpkg from knowing
   what files belong to those two packages, but during normal use, this data
   isn't important.  (Exceptions include searching for the owner of a file,
   and removing the package.)

	-=- James Mastros
--
"My friend Data: You see the world with the wonder of a child, and that
makes you more human then any of us."