Re: lilo: 'Kernel /vmlinuz is too big'

Ralf G. R. Bergs wrote (on 27 Apr 99, at 17:59):

> You should *definitely* exclude support for things you don't need. This
> makes your kernel much smaller. Very helpful also is to compile things

I have most everything in modules that goes in modules ...

> floppy
> disk, tape, cd-rom drivers, network drivers, etc.

Tape not applicable, but the rest is all mod.

> You later load these
> modules after the kernel has mounted the root filesystem (this can even
> be done automagically by use of the kernel daemon or the respective
> kernel thread.)

Right. This was a running system until this morning, remember.

> > tried make bzImage,
>         ^^^^^^^^^^^^
> And why didn't it work? This *is* the solution to your problem...

It did work, in the sense that a kernel was compiled ... but it
wasn't significantly smaller. Are there some arcana of bzImage-making
that I missed in the kernel docs? (and yes, I did make mrproper
first!)

> > I tried all three HD geometries offered by the new BIOS, I tried
> > "linear" (which I'd *had* to use on the 386) ... I
>
> Those two points won't help you at all, they don't have anything to
do
> with your problem.

Good to know. I'm not really looking forward to a fresh installation
... but I can always boot from floppy and tar everything first if it
comes to that.

Thanks for your tips, though!

Tony

--