lilo: 'Kernel /vmlinuz is too big'

Hi Gang!

I got this error after throwing out a 386/387 mainboard and putting
in a Pentium 133/PCI, then recompiling the kernel with the new
processor type and PCI bios support. Now Lilo doesn't want to install
the new kernel, grr-grr!  The old one was already over 700 KB and the
new one is <900, so what's the big deal? And: what's the remedy? I
tried make bzImage, I tried all three HD geometries offered by the
new BIOS, I tried "linear" (which I'd *had* to use on the 386) ... I
can post lilo.conf on demand, but it's a dead simple 1-drive, 1-OS
IDE system, boot is hda and root is hda2 ...

Grateful for any tips,

Tony

--
-- Tony Crawford