DMA on MVP3 ChipSet? (was: ALI V)

Well, I aw this thread and realized that my problam may be with the
motherboard rather than anything else.  I have just bought an EPoX MVP3G-M
motherboard (along with a bunch of other stuff), and both Debian and BeOS
(which is OT, I know) have trouble getting DMA out of it.  The board uses
the Apollo MVP-3 chipset, which doesn't mean anything to me, but might
help in the diagnostics :-)  I have a WD Caviar AC38400 8.4 GB hard drive.
It's pulled from my old system, which seemed to do DMA just fine on it.

Anyway, the problem in Linux shows up when it tries to activate DMA on the
hard drive.  It just times out and goes to whatever the default is.  (In
Be, it locks up at boot time unless I disable it, but that's another story
;-))  So, I was wondering if there is a patch similar to the Aladdin patch
above for the Apollo MVP3.  If not, is anyone familiar enough with the
setup to suggest BIOS or other changes?  I'd be much obliged.

Thanks,

-Chris