Re: W95 defrag

On Thu, 22 Apr 1999, H C Pumphrey wrote:

> Greetings, fellow  Debian fans,
>
> This is only a proto-debian question, I'm afraid, but I have tried to
> RTFM, honest. I'm trying to defrag the disc on a W95 laptop prior to using
> FIPS to re-partition it so I can put Debian on it as well[1]. W95 defrag
> will move a lot of stuff (which it colours turquoise) to the beginning of
> the disc, but
>
> (a) it wants to put some things at the end and
> (b) there are some things which it colours red/white and won't move at
>     all.
Afaik defrag cannot move files, which have the one of the following
attributes: read only, system or hidden.
Therefore you have to scan you harddisk for files with these file
attributes and change them to normal file attributes (see dir /? for
that). Then try again defrag. Now all blocks should move.

> A related question: the Linux+Win95 mini-HOWTO says that if you have FAT32
> you should not try using LILO. Is this info up-to-date?
I don't know... I have also Win95 and Linux on my harddisk, but I use
loadlin for loadling Linux - imho it is much easier than the configuration
of lilo.

> What about the business about the Linux boot partition having to start
> below sector 1024 (assuming LILO can be used ).
Yes, the first cylinder of your boot partition must be in the first 1024
cylinders of your harddisk. That is because, at the time when lilo starts
a bigger number than 1024 cannot be adressed by the system.

HTH, Holger

--
Holger Mense