installing new libs ,missing libgtk.so.0 and no problem

I tried to install the gnome-xml libs (downloaded from cvs).
They compiled fine and installed in usr/local/libs.
I added the directory into /etc/ld.so.conf and ran ldconfig.
When i tried to compile another program that tried to link into
that library i got the message ... -lxml ... linking failed. xml library
doesn't exist.
Anyone know how t solve the problem?
Also, while I'm at it, how do i remove it when the time comes?

Another problem, while running ldconfig it complained that libgtk.so.0
doesn't exist. I checked the directory and it links to a file
libgtk1_2.so.0.0.0 which realy isn't there but there is a file called
libgtk1_2.so.0.1.0 (there another soft link to that one). Is there a
another file missing (BTW i may be getting the file names a bit of because
I'm not on my computer but there is only one choice as to which file it
is).

And number 3. While compiling several programs for gnome i got a message
that it couldn't find command: no. anyone know where i can find it?

Thanx