Re: RedHat need not apply

On Wed, Apr 21, 1999 at 14:07:17 -0400, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:
> As long as the license conforms to the Debian Free Software Guidelines, a
> package can be included in main.  Last I heard, the QPL looked like it
> conformed...

It does. Our very own Joseph Carter put a lot of work in getting as good a
QPL as was attainable.

> The problem with the KDE license is that, while DFSG compliant, the QPL is
> not GPL compatible and therefore you can't link GPL code with Qt.

Indeed.

> However, the KDE developers are in the process of constructing a new
> license for KDE

So I hear often; I've not found a pointer yet as to how this process is
doing.

> that is essentially the GPL with an additional clause that it can be
> linked with Qt.

Hmm. On /., someone wrote
: Last I checked, KDE was addressing that by switching the license of most
: of their core stuff to Artistic (which works fine with the QPL).

It would be nice to have more details on this. Anybody got references?

> The KDE people need to track down the authors of the GPL code that much of
> their project is based on, though, to get permission to use it under the
> new license.

I suspect authors of GPL-ed code would more readily go along with a
GPL-except-linking-with-qt-is-ok license than with a change to a wholly
different license.

Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go