Re: How do I do an ftp install?

On Wed, 21 Apr 1999, Chris Gray wrote:

 : I got sold on Debian after reading today's discussion on slashdot.
 : However, there doesn't seem to be anything in the Debian web site about
 : how one goes about installing from ftp.  It only tells me that it is
 : possible.  So what disk images, etc. do I need?

You need all the floppy images:

resc1440.bin	Rescue / Boot disk
drv1440.bin	Drivers
base14-1.bin	Base disk 1
base14-2.bin	Base disk 2
base14-3.bin	Base disk 3
base14-4.bin	Base disk 4
base14-5.bin	Base disk 5
base14-6.bin	Base disk 6
base14-7.bin	Base disk 7

(I assume you can figure out what to do if you've got a 1.2M floppy
drive instead of a 1.44M drive ...)

You don't need the base disks if you have a CD (but then why do an ftp
install?) or you know of an NFS server from which you can install the
base package.

Using the above disks you install the base system.  When you reboot
you'll need to configure PPP and get into dselect, as someone else
already explained.

HTH,

--
Nathan Norman
MidcoNet  410 South Phillips Avenue  Sioux Falls, SD