Re: NIS documentation (nis 3.3.1-1)

In article <cistron.Pine.LNX.3.96.990421152714.7690A-100000@falcon.ece.uci.edu>,
Prashanth Mundkur  <mundkur@ece.uci.edu> wrote:
>I upgraded my lab machine today to slink. The NIS docu
>suggests
>
>---[/usr/doc/nis/nis.debian.howto.gz]
>2. HOW TO SPECIFY WHAT RESOURCES TO USE FOR NIS:
>
>2.4.2 For libc6 applications:
>
>      Edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and change the hosts entry:
>
>      hosts:  nis files

No, it doesn't suggest that at all.

>I had to make this line in nsswitch.conf
>
> hosts:  nis files dns

Ofcourse. You misread the docs; it says _not_ to change the hosts: line.
The exact wording is:

  2.4 HOSTS:

      Normally you should not do host lookups through NIS, use DNS for that.
      If you really must use NIS for it, here's how to do it.

Mike.
--
Indifference will certainly be the downfall of mankind, but who cares?