index.bt being left all over the place

Hi folks,

I'm having a minor problem with man. It leaves a file index.bt in the
current directory. If I remove the file and then run man again it is
replaced with a new file that diff says is different than the first (even
if the man file I read is the same). If I leave the file alone, then
modification date stays the same as when it was originally created and diff
finds no difference in the file before and after running another man.

I'm just wondering if there is a way to stop man from creating these
files. It would be really nice to be able to run man from any directory
without having to worry about the stray index.bt's all over my system.

I have man-db version 2.3.10-69g.

Thanks for listening!

Andrew