Re: HELP! Mail program suggestions

On Mon, Apr 19, 1999 at 03:41:39PM +0200, Wojciech Zabolotny wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I'm a pine user (as can be seen from the header of my message), and
> because of the unclear status and future of this program I would like
> to switch to another mailer.

I'll suggest Mutt, the mailer I'm using right now.

> However I have some special requirements:
> 1) The program should be free according to the FSG

Mutt is GPL'd.

> 2) The program should leave the mail in my /var/spool/mail directory
>    until I explicitly require to move it somewhere else (I love XEmacs
>    but it fails in this point :-( ). This requirement results from the
>    fact that I want to be able both: to read my mail at work and to download
>    the not read and not moved messages with fetchmail.

This is a configurable option in mutt.  In fact, most options are
completely configurable in mutt.

> 3) Text UI (or two forms of UI - one X based and the second - text based).

Mutt has a very intuitive curses or slang (debian compiles against
slang) interface.

> 4) Good handling of different ISO encodings (at least a possibility
>    of defining the default ISO encoding).

Check.

> 5) Good handling of MIME extensions and attachments.

Mutt is almost religious about handling every case according to
relevant RFC's in the right way.  It is practically a reference
implementation of how to handle PGP.

> 6) Good folder management, threading of messages, news access ...
>    (it could take hours to type all my wishes :-).

Mutt allows global and per folder threading, sorting, display rules,
etc, through the use of folder- and save-hooks, strict (by header) and
relaxed (by header and or same subject) threading, with an optional
secondary sort method.  You can have it sort by threads, newest or
oldest thread first, or promote the threads that have the most recent
additions.  The only thing I am not sure about is news access
directly, I think this is not in the default stable version of mutt.
I personally use fetchmail.

>    Could someone give me a good suggestion what should I try?

I love Mutt.  It's almost infinitely configurable, prides itself on
its small memory and hard drive footprint, and is fast.  Give it a
try.

--
Ian Peters		"I never let schooling interfere with my education."
itp@gnu.org					-- Mark Twain