OFF TOPIC! Problem: Floating multipage longtables in LaTeX

Hi All!
Sorry, I know that this list is not dedicated to LaTeX, but anyway
it is one of the best places to find help even in this subject :-).

I have to place a long multi-page table in my documentation.
Of course I've used the longtable package to do it, but there are some
problems with it.
When I use the longtable environment alone, my tables starts right in the
place where the "\begin{longtable}" is located (it does not "float").
Additionally when I use other "normal" tables in my document, it happens
that the normal, floating tables are placed between chunks of the long
one.
When I nest the longtable in the table environment, the resulting table
is placed in one big float placed in one page, and of course exceeding its
size :-(.
Is there any official (or undocumented but working) way to obtain
the "multipage floats" in LaTeX?.

			TIA
			Wojtek Zabolotny
			wzab@ise.pw.edu.pl