Re: Any way to convert Word 7 files?

On Tue, 13 Apr 1999, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> I've a nasty feeling the answer is going to be  "no", but I wonder whether
> there is any way to convert or read a Word 7 file on linux?
>
> Or do I have to borrow a Windows machine and convert it to txt?

I've had good success with mswordview for word8.  The web page for mswordview
suggests a few other converters.  The page

http://www.gnu.org/~caolan/docs/MSWordView.html

suggests the following ... (see the HTML version for links)

Other Decoders and related projects

There already exist a few attempts as word converters laola (originally used
by mswordview) includes one called elser, doesnt handle word 8, but can do
word 6 and 7
word2x, which is for word 6 and doesnt do fastsaves
catdoc, which doesnt do fastsaves or tables, also for word 6.

all these converters are almost magical in how far they managed to go without
access to the microsoft format specification, and their code was terribly
useful in figuring out some things

Sun has something which displays word files on screen, though it doesnt print
Corels word processor for linux, has a very good converter for word6/7/8 built
in. Its has had a few mistakes in conversion, but unlike current mswordview
it retains formatting very very well.

Use wine and the ms 16bit word viewer, heres a howto.
the filters project.
A word macro investigation tool

Hope this helps ...

----
Robert King, Australian Environmental Studies, Griffith University, Australia
3875 6677   Robert.King@mailbox.gu.edu.au   http://www.ens.gu.edu.au/robertk/

SCEPTIC TANK
 A new type of plumbing device. Once you flush, it looks at the
 situation and says "gee, I dunno guv, I'm not sure I can get that
 big turd down the S bend. Just that little too big, know what I
 mean? Looks very dodgy to me." from TOXIC CUSTARPEDIA - VOLUME 19