Re: package dependencies

Bogus User hat gesagt: // Bogus User wrote:

> If I download the source code for something, compile it, and install
> it, how do I get dpkg to know that it's there?  I downloaded a new
> version of qt from trolltech's web site and installed it on my
> machine.  Then I downloaded kde debian packages and tried to install
> them.  dpkg complained that qt was not installed.

You should install the debian version of qt ;)

If you compile it on your own, you are on your own, as far as dpkg is
concerned. You could of course try to make a debian package of qt yourself.
Install all the debian developer stuff and read the docs.

Or you could just override the dependencies, but don't complain if this
breaks your setup.

Making debian packages is not that hard and well documented. But I would
start with a simple app and not with an important library.

bye
--
                                                     __    __
 Frank Barknecht           ____ ______   ____ __ trip\ \  / /wire ______