Re: libXt.so.6

On Thu, Apr 08, 1999 at 07:42:10PM -0000, Pollywog wrote:
> Is libXt.so.6 a glibc library as I suspect, or am I wrong?

It's not part of the GNU C Library, no.  The "6" is the major version
number of the library itself.  In this case that corresponds to the "6" in
"X11R6", which has nothing to do with the versioning of the Linux/GNU C
Library.

libXt can be compiled against just about any C Library -- libc5, libc6,
etc.

To determine which version of the C Library your libXt.so.6 is compiled
against, run the ldd command on its absolute pathname.  Don't just say "ldd
libXt.so.6"; if you have more than one libXt on your system, that might
tell you about the wrong one.

If you need X libraries linked against libc5 -- for instance, to run old
applications that are libc5-based, install the xlib6 package from the
oldlibs section.

xlib6           3.3.2.3a-11    shared libraries required by libc5 X clients
xlib6g          3.3.2.3a-11    shared libraries required by X clients

--
G. Branden Robinson              |    It doesn't matter what you are doing,
Debian GNU/Linux                 |    emacs is always overkill.