Re: [off-topic] How to auto-run xlock?

On Thu, 8 Apr 1999, Rick Macdonald wrote:

>On Fri, 9 Apr 1999, Hamish Moffatt wrote:
>> Shouldn't nicing it to the lowest level mean it only runs in idle time
>> anyway? Or does it display things when running?
>
>I need to try various nice values and pay more attention, but I could
>"feel" it's presence when it's running at nice=1. It's all numerical

nice=19 is the LOWEST priority, nice=-20 is the HIGHEST.  Negative
numbers are only available to root.  So, when you moved it from 0 to 1,
you didn't really do all that much.  Try sending it all the way to 19.

					-Michael

>computation and soaks up lots of CPU. Memory isn't a problem for me (I
>have 256MB). It doesn't display anthing, just a stream of progress prints
>to stdout that you can /dev/null.

  Michael Stenner			Office Phone: 919-660-2513
  Duke University, Dept. of Physics	  mstenner@phy.duke.edu
  Box 90305, Durham N.C. 27708-0305