Re: X busted after 2.0 -> 2.1 upgrade

On Wed, Apr 07, 1999 at 12:14:33PM -0400,  Raymond A. Ingles wrote:
> On Wed, 7 Apr 1999, Richard Harran wrote:
>
> > I'm not sure about this, but perhaps you should remove, rather than
> > purge, the xbase package.  This is what I did, and I did not get this
> > problem.  The difference between purging and removing is that removing
> > leaves configuration files alone, so perhaps purging xbase removes
> > config files necessary to run startx??
>
>  This appears to be the case. I saved my old XF86Config, reran XF86Setup,
> and then replaced the auto-generated XF86Config with my old one. Now
> startx works just fine.

GACK!  I hadn't run across this problem in the versions of XFree86 that
were released in the course of stabilizing it after the Great X
Reorganization.

Yes, this is a serious problem.  I am not sure what I can do to fix it; my
pre- and post- removal scripts in the current xbase package don't delete
those conffiles, dpkg does.  It's not easy to change dpkg's mind about such
things.

I have checked, and the slink xbase package:

  1) does not have a prerm script
  2) does not have a postrm script
  3) does not have a conffiles list

In English, this means that when you remove or purge xbase, what SHOULD
happen is simply that all the files and directories listed by the dpkg -L
xbase command are removed.

Is it the case that somehow the old /var/lib/dpkg/info/xbase.conffiles file
is being left around?  On my system, I even still have xbase installed and
it is not there.  Is there perhaps some scenario in which the old conffiles
file is not removed?  If so, this is probably a bug in dpkg, and not in X.

In the meantime, I will update the appropriate README files with a dire
warning to not purge xbase, but to simply remove it instead.

All of xbase's conffiles have migrated to other packages; an enumeration is
in the existing xbase/README.Debian.

>  I guess I'll take a very close look at the docs and see if this needs to
> be reported as a bug.

I need to examine more closely how I can preserve those conffiles, even in
the face of a purge of xbase, which is not an unreasonable thing to do
except for this very bad behavior.

--
G. Branden Robinson              |
Debian GNU/Linux                 |   Mob rule isn't any prettier just because