pppd success! Now, on to more configuration questions!

Hi, everyone!  After much struggle and turmoil, I have gotten my pppd to
quit dying on me as a user!  With a thousand thanks to Avery of wvdial
fame, here's what I had to do:  I added

connect true

to my etc/ppp/options file.  I also touched both /dev/ttyS1 and my .ppprc
file, which might have made a difference, though their effects were not
immediate.  In any case, I was greatly relieved to finally connect as I
was _literally_ ready to do a wipe-and-reinstall when I finally connected.

AS an aside, my system has become mostly potato-fied in the process of
upgrading things in my desperation to fix the problem (this might have
been a contibutor to the fix as well, BTW).  My question: would I benefit
in any way by just taking the leap and upgrading fully to Potato?  I think
that I am 12 packages shy, according to apt-get.  Just to expose my
newbie-ness, potato is aka unstable at this point, right?

Now, configuration questions.  First, my problems with fetchmail.  Before
I (probably) upgraded my packages, I was getting errors amounting to "SMTP
listener does not like ID cmayes@localhost" or some such, at which point
it kicks out.  Now, I get this error:

116 messages for bob at host.myisp.com
reading message 1 of 116 (1039 header octets) .fetchmail: can't even send
to bob!
fetchmail: SMTP transaction error while fetching from host.myisp.com
fetchmail: Query status=10

Now, from my previous encounter, I gather that something is reporting
that my hostname is localhost, which the SMTP setup does not like at my
ISP's end.  Might this be an exim problem?  I am totally lost when it
comes to mail handlers in general, and I have never used exim before three
days ago, so bear with me :-)  Is there a setup program for exim, or
should I do the old man-page;edit config;restart exim;crash exim;repeat
until I get it working?  If so, is there an example exim configuration
file?  I'll be doing research on this after I send this off, but I decided
that I might as well ask while I'm typing :-)

Next question: can I change what xterms report for their terminals?  When
I telnet somewhere, pine does not recognize xterm-debian or rxvt, and I
am too lazy to keep changing it every time I telnet somewhere ;-)  I am
sure that I will have more questions later, but I'll lay off for now.
TIA!

-Chris