Re: RedHat = MS-Linux

John Hasler wrote:

> Ed Cogburn writes:
> > For the issue of a software package that needs to get a daemon running at
> > bootup, I don't think the problem is trivial.  The layout and use of the
> > /etc/init.d and /etc/rc*.d dirs is (I've read) far from compatible
> > between RH and Deb.
>
> How about an install-rc tool?  It would be essentially a generalization of
> update-rc.d.  You would pass it a script and some parameters and it would
> install the script appropriately for the distribution.

	A)  I'll remind everyone that, as I said earlier, I have no
recent experience with RH, specifically no understanding of RH's
bootup (init) sequence, and how it differs from Deb's init.d/rc*.d
setup.  Having said that ...

	If agreeing to a compromise between RH and Deb and other dists is
possible, then the same system should be used.  Note that the LSB
says:  "Scripts used as part of the package install and uninstall
may only use commands and interfaces that are specified by the
LSB".  So the LSB will define what system to use here.  If a
compromise is not possible, then an 'install-rc' tool *accepted by
all dists* would be the only other choice, and it would
essentially have to know the details about every dist that
conforms to the LSB.  Writing (and maintaining) the thing could be
real hairy.

	Another bit of news:  RPM is still listed as the package
management tool for the LSB, which makes me wonder why we continue
to develop dpkg.  I wonder if the developers intend to support
both?  Or has Debian not officially accepted this decision?

--
Ed C.