Re: top like drive usage utility?

On Sat, 3 Apr 1999, Chris Brown wrote:

>     Our drives have occasionally been going nuts with disk access.
> They would for no reason just start reading the disk and go solid for
> 10 minutes.  Is there a utility like top to check for who or what is
> accessing the disks?

actually, top will do it quite nicely in many cases -- processes which are
blocked on i/o are shown in the 'D' state.  run top while the disks are
getting nailed and spot the process(es) in 'D' state.

-thomas

please forgive my abrupt ending hre - but my conection is
xtrememleyyhiclmelyey      BAD hiccuppy etc must sign off -
EF D8 33 68 B3 E3 E9 D2  C1 3E 51 22 8A AA 7B 98 umbra (!)