Unsuccesfully mounting cdrom.

I'm installing Debian GNU/Linux 2.0 (hamm). A problem occured running
dselect and choosing access/cd-rom. Program is obviously unable to mount
/dev/hdc (my IDE/ATAPI-cdrom drive is master in second IDE). Dselect
says:
"Insert the CD-ROM and type block device name []:"
/dev/hdc, I write (or /dev/hdc1, it has no effect on result).
"mount: the kernel does not recognize /dev/hdc as a block device
	(maybe 'insmod driver')", it aswers.
The same result using access/mountable. I've tried mounting cdrom:
"mount -t iso9660 /dev/hdc /cdrom". I've have also tried combinations
like /dev/hdc1 /dev/hdb and so on. No success.
"insmod cdrom", I suggest.
...\cdrom\cdrom.o: module named cdrom already exist, it tells me.
During start up, I saw a line like:
hdc: no response (status 0xd0)

I've no idea what to do (and as I'm unexperienced with linux).