Re: Script to check whether modem telephone line in use --- how?

On Wed, Mar 31, 1999 at 11:41:47PM -0600, Bud Rogers wrote:
> Mark Phillips <mark@ist.flinders.edu.au> writes:
>
> > I hope this explains now why I was trying to write a script that would
> > actually allow me to hear what was on the phoneline, enabling me to
> > determine if my father was actually using it.  (At the moment the only
> > way is to physically go upstairs and check his computer/ask him.)
>
> Put ABORT "NO DIALTONE" in your ppp chat script.

In my experience, the noise of the line being picked and up dropped
by the other modem will interfere with the session -- it will almost
certainly cause the modems to retrain, and may cause them to hang up.

In other words, I don't think that listening for a second or two is
going to make the difference.

Some sort of "line in use" indicator would be better.

Hamish