Subject: IBM netfinity PCs

>Hello,
>
>Our school plans on getting  some IBM Netfinity computers. Does anyone
>have any experience running Debian with these computers. These computers
>come, I think, with built in SCSI, video, and network. Does anyone
>know
>    1.  what video chip it uses
>    2.  what SCSI
>    3.  what network card chip set
>I think I can get it with Red Hat, but I may want to
>compile  my own kernel, and install Debian.
>
>If you have experience, how do you like them?
>
>Thanks in advance
>
>King Lee
>king@cs.csubak.edu

Actually, IBM now will sell these PC's with Linux installed AND provide full
technical support. I believe the distribution is RedHat, But I would think the
school would prefer to have the pre-installed software WITH the service contract
that to let the students install another OS without a service contract. I would
just ensure the machines are requested with Linux installed and rely on IBM to
sort any problems. If you DO replace the OS with another distribution, like
Debian, IBM may NOT support your machines. This would need some careful
consideration.

Cheers,

     John Gay