SB PCI 128 Sound onlys plays when root.

I think that this is a configuration problem involving file permissinos.

See below for hardware/software list.

I cannot seem to play sounds when logged in as a user, only when logged
in as root.  When I am root, they work just fine.  I am using the
Ensoniq 1370 driver from the 2.1.125 kernel, and I'm not using it as a
module, nor do I have OSS drivers installed.  I suspect that somewhere
along the way some file permissions got screwed up.  I looked in /dev
and I found these:

crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   4 Jul 20  1998 audio
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,  20 Jul 20  1998 audio1
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   3 Jul 20  1998 dsp
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,  19 Jul 20  1998 dsp1
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   2 Jul 20  1998 midi00
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,  18 Jul 20  1998 midi01
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,  34 Jul 20  1998 midi02
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,  50 Jul 20  1998 midi03
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   0 Jul 20  1998 mixer
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,  16 Jul 20  1998 mixer1
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   1 Jul 20  1998 sequencer
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   8 Jul 20  1998 sequencer2
crw-rw----   1 root     audio     14,   6 Jul 20  1998 sndstat

    Should I have multiple /dev/audios and /dev/dsps?  Are they the
correct permissions.

Any help would be appreciated.  I'm so close to being able to use sound
under linux!

Please respond on this list if you think it will be useful to others,
but e-mail me privately otherwise.

Thank you,
benjamin mcgough
bmcgough@olywa.net

My System:
    ASUS P2B / PII-233 / 128MB SDRAM
    Diamond Fireport 20 (NCR53c875) PCI SCSI controlling:
        Toshiba 2X SCSI
        Toshiba 40X SCSI
        Phillips 2X CD-RW SCSI
    14.4 EIDE Hard Drive (that was fun to fdisk!)
    Diamond Viper 550 (Nvidia Riva TNT) AGP
    Hauppauge WinTV 401 (stereo w/radio)
    SoundBlaster PCI 128 (Ensoniq 1370)

My Software:
    Debian 2.0 installed base system only.
    XFree86 3.3.3.1 installed manually.(for the Riva TNT)
    Debian 2.1 packages used to update everything.
    Kernel 2.1.125 (from slink package)
    Enlightenment 14
    Gnome .99 (whatever was in slink)