Odd Mutt Behavior

I have a directory structure that looks something like this:

MAIL
  Psycholoquy
  Trash
  OPERATING SYSTEMS
     Debian
     OS2
  STATISTICS
     S-News
     Stat-L

I have mutt setup to open in MAIL and I can switch folders, most of the
time.  I can go into the OPERATING SYSTEMS subdirectory and examine both
Debian and OS2 but when I go into the STATISTICS subdirectory I see no
folders such as S-News or Stat-L---nothing!  If I exit out of mutt and
start it up again the folders and subdirectories return and I am able to
return to viewing mail!  Any idea what is happening?  I have checked
owner rights and there is no problem there.  I can't figure why I could
go into one subdirectory and see everything but go into the other one
and see nothing.

Lance