Re: 96% packet loss on my network

On Sun, 14 Feb 1999, Paul Nathan Puri wrote:

> My ifconfig eth0 output on my laptop is the following:

> 	RX packets:2175 errors:0 dropped:192 overruns:0 frame:728
> 	TX packets:2590 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> 	collisions:0 txqueuelen:100
> 	Interrupt:3 Base address:0x300
>
> Here is the ifconfig eth0 output on my pc-server:

> 	RX packets:7 errors:34 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:34
> 	TX packets:48 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
> 	Collisions:8
> 	Interrupt:11 Base address:0xfc00
>
> I get 96% packet loss.  Both cards, the pcmcia and the pci,
> are fast ethernet cards.

Strange how the pc-servers numbers are so much smaller.  If you hub has
diagnostic lights, also looks at those.  I'd verify the base addr
(different from what I'm used to) and irq on the pc-server.  Make sure
nothing else is using that irq and that the card is really using that irq.
Then do the same for the laptop.  It means pulling out manuals, checking
jumpers, using isapnptools, and loading/unloading kernel modules.  I can't
guarantee a hardware problem, but others on the list seem to agree that
it's the first step.

Good luck,
Brandon

| Brandon Mitchell  bmitch@atdot.org  http://bmitch.nws.net/  ICQ 30631197 |
| Throughout history, UNIX systems have regulary been broken into, beaten, |
| brutalized, corrupted, commandeered, compromised, and illegally fscked.  |
|                                   -- UNIX System Administration Handbook |