Recompile for 3com lost CDROM

Well, recompiling my 2.0.34 kernel got my 3com NIC working, but now my
CD-ROM that was on /dev/hdc won't work. When I try to mount it I'm told
that the iso9660 fs type is not supported by the kernel.

When I run "make menuconfig" I see nothing about the iso9660 fs type under
the "Filesystems" item, and the "CD-ROM drivers" item says it's not for
SCSI or IDE/ATAPI drives (and I assume my CD-ROM is IDE since it's the
first drive on the second IDE port nad I used to be able to access it on
/dev/hdc). Under the "Floppy, IDE, and other block devices" item the
"Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support" option is *'d.

What am I missing? Thanks.