Re: chmod on vfat

> On Fri, 12 Feb 1999, David Webster wrote:
>  : work arounds to allow someone other than root to write to a vfat
>  : partition?

Nathan E Norman:
> Yeah, use an fstab entry like this (this is ntfs but applies to
> vfat/msdos also afaik)
>
>   /dev/hda1 /ntdrv1 ntfs user,exec,nosuid,gid=50,umask=002 0 2
>   /dev/hda2 /ntdrv2 ntfs user,exec,nosuid,gid=50,umask=002 0 2
>
> In this case we allow the group "staff" write access; any user has read
> access. You could change the umask to mean that only staff has read
> access, and that normal users have no access whatsoever.

Note that no matter the permissions, only the owner of a file can do
certain operations to do with the 'inode'.

Every now and then, I need to create a file with a particular date, and I
want to do it on a smbfs drive. To do that, I need to become the owner (in
my case 'lan') or root.

Jiri
--
<jiri@baum.com.au>
We'll know the future has arrived when every mailer transparently