DSelect and ftp

I have formatted a harddisk (to make it 100% microsoft-free) and installed debian linux 2.0 from floppy disks. Then I tried to install packages using dselect with ftp access. The problem is that dselect fails to connect. Dselect shows the following message:

Connecting to ftp.debian.org
Failed to connect

Dselect then asks if it should retry to connect.

If I try the pon command, some of the lights of my modem flash, but when dselect is trying to connect, the modemlights don't flash. My modem is a cable modem, which can be configured just like a normal 28k8 modem.

I am a Linux newbie and I don't know where to start looking for a solution to this problem. I hope someone from this mailinglist can help me out.

TIA,

Robert-Jan.