apt-get error?

Today I noticed a starnge (to me) behaviour of apt-get. I am running a
predominantly sarge system with the latest xpdf installed. For some
reason I downloaded the deb sources of the same and installed it.

But, when I do an apt-get upgrade, it is downloading the version from
testing and installing the same version. Is this the expected behaviour?
I was under the impression that if the installed version was the same as
the version on the server, it should not. I am giving some details
below:

brahman:~# apt-cache policy xpdf-common
xpdf-common:
  Installed: 2.02pl1-1
  Candidate: 2.02pl1-1
  Version Table:
     2.02pl1-1 0
        900 ftp://ftp.debian.org testing/main Packages
         95 ftp://ftp.debian.org unstable/main Packages
 *** 2.02pl1-1 0
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
brahman:~# apt-get upgrade
Reading Package Lists... Done
Building Dependency Tree... Done
The following packages have been kept back
  libdvdnav1 libgstreamer0.6-0 sysvinit t1-xfree86-nonfree ttf-xfree86-nonfree xpdf-reader
3 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6  not upgraded.
Need to get 1098kB of archives. After unpacking 250kB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
Get:1 ftp://ftp.debian.org testing/main xpdf-common 2.02pl1-1 [51.4kB]
Get:2 ftp://ftp.debian.org testing/main xpdf-utils 2.02pl1-1 [1046kB]
Get:3 ftp://ftp.debian.org testing/main xpdf 2.02pl1-1 [1152B]
Fetched 1066kB in 50s (21.2kB/s)

The installation candidate is no different from the one installed.

I would like to know whether this is the expected behaviour?

Regards,

--
Sridhar M.A.

Do not meddle in the affairs of troff, for it is subtle and quick to anger.