Re: 2 Hardware Questions (LCD/Wireless Router)

On Sat, 5 Apr 2003 17:53:01 -0500
Matt Price <matt.price@utoronto.ca> wrote:

> I need to buy a wireless router and a monitor, and have questions
> about both.
>
> First the router.  Looking around, I gather all these routers run
> their own networking and encryption software.  Having recently
> converted to Debian GNU/Linux, I'm bummed at having to give up control
> of these features to some hardware I have no real access to, and I
> feel just a little suspicious of these closed-platform boxes.  On the
> other hand, they do seem to be pretty practical devices.  So my
> question:  can anyone share opinions about particular models, or
> general criteria to apply in deciding between competing models?

I use the Netgear MR314.  This seems pretty good to me. But I'm not an
expert. It has a web-based setup that allows you to specify things much as
you want them. But then I only have very simple requirements.  The
manual/user guide can be downloaded in pdf format from their website, so
you can have a good look at what it does for yourself.

> Then the monitor.  We've settled on buying an LCD monitor, and I wanted
> to check about compatibility before I bought one.  I've noticed some
> companies talk about "mac compatible" or "linux compatible" products.
> Any idea what this means?  My impression with ordinary CRT monitors
> is, that as long as the cable on the monitor (DVI; VGA, ADC,
> whatever) matches the port on your video card, you're OK.  Is this not
> true of LCD's?  Do some of the LCD's require proprietary color
> adjustment software, for instance; and if so, are there ways to
> compensate under Linux?

I have a 17" Belinea 10 17 20 which I'm very happy with.  It's just like a
CRT in the respect that you mention.  I can't answer your question about
colour compensation.

- Richard.
--
Richard Kimber