Re: sparc stability

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 02:30:12AM +0100, Warwick Brown wrote:
> heya peeps,
>
> ive been trying to run linux on sparc for a while now, but no matter
> what distributuib/kernel i use, it seems to crash on an almost daily
> basis, im using a Sun Creator3D/30, and i cant seem to find any
> resolve, ive used splack, suse, debian, aurora, with no joy, and
> kernels from 2.4.19 to 2.4.21-pre6 with no joy, they all seem to
> suffer stack overflows, which in turn cause a core dump
>
> any ideas? i know its a little vague
>
> waz
>
> p.s. what uptimes do fellow sparc'ers get?

You might want to hang out on debian-sparc.

I've got an Ultra 30 which is my desktop; I shut it off when I'm not
using it because it's damaging my hearing :-)  I also have an Ultra 60
which is supposed to be a server but is mostly sitting around doing
nothing:

 nnorman@aglarond:~$ uptime
  21:13:16 up 34 days, 23:23,  1 user,  load average: 0.00, 0.00, 0.00

I also have two Sparcstation 5s here but right now they are off.

I'm guessing you have an Ultra 30 with a Creator 3D framebuffer?
There's no such model as a "Sun Creator" :-)  it sounds to me like you
have a hardware problem.

  See, if you were allowed to keep the money, you wouldn't create
  jobs with it. You'd throw it in the bushes or something.  But
  the government will spend it, thereby creating jobs.
          -- Dave Barry