Re: network

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 17:48, ronin2@bellatlantic.net wrote:

> In /etc/network/interfaces, if you have "auto eth0" comment it out.
>
> Then restart networking:
>
> /etc/init.d/networking restart
>
> Then try restarting PCMCIA:
>
> /etc/init.d/pcmcia restart
>
> The idea is that pcmcia should bring up eth0.
>
> In a normal startup, networking is run before pcmcia. If you have "auto"
> in interfaces, networking will try to bring up and configure eth0. The
> problem is that since pcmcia hasn't run, eth0 doesn't yet exist -- the
> modules haven't been loaded.

That did it - pretty much. It took killall cardmrg to get pcmcia to
stop. Restart said it was busy. There's only one PCMCIA card in this
machine. I don't know what it was busy doing...

Thanks much for a very clear explanation. It does bring up a question,
though. In the boot process, init runs ntpdate - after the networking
script runs, but before pcmcia. Seems to me a lot of possible troubles
could be avoided by simply starting pcmcia before networking. No?

--
Glenn English
ghe@slsware.com