Re: Ksoftirq running wild .. What is it?

On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 08:38:13PM +0200, Mariano Kamp wrote:
>   a process called ksoftirqd_CPU0 is eating up my cpu ... I recently
> returned from apm suspend and now this process eats 95% of my cpu. Oddly
> enough I am not able to kill it with kill -9 pid.

It's not odd at all. See below. As to the high CPU usage, it would
appear that either it really has a lot of work to do, or it's a sampling
issue.

At any rate, I would suggest not to kill -9 everything that is unknown
on sight. It might be important.

>   Any idea what this process does?

STFW. http://lwn.net/2001/0726/a/ugly.php3
In short: That is, as the name suggests, a kernel daemon handling soft
IRQs which hannot be handled at the spot.

--
|              Benford's Corollary to Clarke's Third Law:              |