Re: Partitioning screwup.

On Sun, 20 Oct 2002, j2 wrote:

> *sigh* I just noticed that i have created 3 primary partitons, and one
> extended partition. The extended partition holds one logical device (hda5)..
> Now, what i had WANTED to do was create a extended partition over the rest
> of the device to fit in more logical devices as time progressed (Yes, there
> was a reason for that). Now, whats the most painfree (and non destructive)
> way to correct that, and make my extended partition fill the whole disk?
> Right now all i get is "No free sectors" when trying to create another
> device.

Just a guess, but it sounds like a good use for mondo.  Backup the system
to CDR/RW, and then do an interactive restore, during which you can revise
your partitioning scheme, and then overlay your existing data onto the new
partition layout.  Check out www.mondorescue.org, or google for mondo if
that site is down.

HTH,

nuk

--
"It is the American vice, the democratic disease which expresses its
tyranny by reducing everything unique to the level of the herd."

Henry Miller, American author, 1947