Re: apt and preferences

On Sat, Oct 19, 2002 at 01:17:39PM -0400, Craig Longman wrote:

> hi there,
>
> i recently upgraded to debian from redhat, as i was tired of finding
> that the latest version of a program i wanted to install required 27
> other rpms that were only available for the latest and greatest version
> of redhat.  debian seems much more reasonable in this regard, allowing
> me to upgrade what i want or what i have to, without forcing a whole
> system upgrade every 6-12 months.
>
> i'm having a number of confusions with apt/dpkg though, and i'd like to
> run through them here.
>
> first off, in the apt-howto, they say that when running a mixed system,
> you need to edit the /etc/apt/apt.conf file and add this line:
>
>   APT::Default-Release "stable";
>
> unfortunately, i don't see an apt.conf file in that directory.  i found
> a file named /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/70debconf though, and adding that line
> in there seemed to work.  is this dangerous?  should i just create an
> apt.conf file and put my custom stuff in there?
>
> secondly, for various reasons, i need to have apache2 2.0.42 installed.
> it appears that 2.0.43 has been elevated to 'testing' status, but i

Since 2.0.43 is already in testing, look in /var/cache/apt/archives
to see if you have already downloaded 2.0.42 versions you are looking
for. If you find them, cd /var/cache/apt/archives and install the debs
with "dpkg -i [deb]".

If you don't find them in /var/cache/apt/archives, go to
http://www.debian.org/distrib/packages and search for the package you
want. If you are quick enough, you may be able find the 2.0.42 version on the
download page at one of the mirrors.

--
Jerome