Re: Live CD and Package Licenses

On Fri, Oct 18, 2002 at 02:46:22PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> Where could I find out why a given package is in non-US?  Specifically,
> I'm interesting in the following packages:
>
> gnomemeeting - stable/non-US/main - GPL

Seems to be in sids' main.  Maybe it just missed out on making the
crypto-in-main transition before woody was released?  It's possible some
of the codecs it uses are patented in the US as well.

> libopenh323-1.7.4 - stable/non-US/main - MPL

Same again?

> libpt-1.2.0 - stable/non-US/main - MPL

Also links against OpenSSL, but it seems to be just a GUI library.

Your best bet would be searching the debian-legal archives, and maybe
asking there if you can't find previous discussions.  Also check the
BTS, there might be bugs about moving them into main already.

-rob