Re: Debian vs. SuSE 8.1

    "geno" == geno  <geno@pop.net> writes:

    geno> Other than price, what is the attraction of Debian over Red
    geno> Hat, SuSE or Mandrake?

All of these are good distributions.

What Debian offers over the others is multi-architecture support,
excellent software package management, a very helpful community, and a
superb system architecture that supports mission critical computing
and easy administration (for those who know life beyond a mouse).

The other three distributions provide more up-to-date software than
Debian. I have not used them enough to know if they are much worse or
better than Debian, but nothing matches Debian's "install once,
upgrade forever" package management. I also think the other three are
better suited to "click happy" users, while Debian is easy to use on a
system with no X server installed.

Debian also explicitly pushes the GNU philosophy with very little
space for compromises, and IMHO does this without sacrificing any
thing in the way of quality or usability.

Cheers!
Shyamal