Re: pop server

On Fri, 18 Oct 2002, Richard Kimber wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Oct 2002 13:42:04 -0400 (EDT)
> Andrew Perrin <clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu> wrote:
>
> > What are you trying to do?  telnet pop.<hostname> 110 tells telnet to
> > find a machine called "pop.hostname" and connect to port 110, which is
> > equivalent to the pop3 port. I don't think that's what you're looking
> > for.
>
> Well I got that from the man page.

Which one?

> What's not clear to me is what I call the pop server (i.e. what I should
> enter into the mail client's setup as the email server to connect to - my
> ISP's server is called pop.ntlworld.com, and I assumed my local one would
> be called something along the same lines)

No, that's just an (admittedly confusing) convention, to name the machine
after what it does. The pop. in pop.ntlworld.com is part of the machine's
name; the email client is set to contact it at port 110, which is the POP
port.

In your case, say your machine is called "kimber" and you're running a POP
server on it. (Assume, too, that you haven't done anything naughty like
running the POP server on a port other than 110.)  You would then just
tell the mail client to use "kimber" as the email server.

Hope this helps.

clists@perrin.socsci.unc.edu * andrew_perrin (at) unc.edu