Re: mail does not work

This one time, at band camp, Sandip P Deshmukh said:
> i had been trying to use mail the unix way after shifting to linux from
> windows.
>
> i ran eximconfig and answered the q to the best of my abilities.
> however, outgoing mails are not yet going.
>
> my machine is connected to a server that runs win nt. it has its own ip
> address. my machine also has a static ip address. then there is a
> gateway and two dns servers.
>
> in windows i used to use the nt server's ip address as smtp server
> address and it would work. it still works in linux/ mozilla combination.
>
> how do i do it? ideally, i will NOT like to depend on the nt server to
> send my mails out. can that be done?
>
> thanx in advance
>
> -sandip

Put the NT box in the smarthost line that ends in bydns_a, and change
bydns_a to byname if you want a local address to work (I think there is
a seperate way to specify an IP literal - check www.exim.org to make
sure).  bydns_a forces a dns lookup for the MX record, where byname
sends directly to that box.

HTH,
Steve

--
It does not matter if you fall down as long as you pick up something
from the floor while you get up.