Re: Linux: a gentle, growing approach

Hi,

On Mon, Oct 14, 2002 at 12:30:31PM -0700, Josh Rehman wrote:
> Perhaps I gave the wrong impression. I am already a competent Linux
> user. I am a programmer by trade, and know a smattering of C, Bash, and
> Perl. I use Linux extensively at work, and somewhat at home. My idea was
> regarding the *mastery* of Linux, not learning it as a newbie. So far,
> I've been exploring the nooks and crannies, motivated by use cases and
> the demand for quick results. Now, I feel that I'm ready to try a
> different approach, if one is elucidated somewhere on the net.

I guess reading source is the best way. But most of us are lazy.

> In other words, I'd like to revisit the things I already know how to do
> from a more abstract, fundamental POV.

As for packaging practices, read Debian Policy and you know why people
do it this way.  http://www.debian.org/doc/ has nice links to many
documents.  Also, http://www.debian.org/devel/ has nice links to
understand Debian.

Each document has different focus, install, configure, secure, ... etc.

> The major part of my motivation is that I don't want to memorize so much
> stuff. I would like to really understand the system so that I can derive
> simple results with ease, with a minimum of rote memorization. (Somewhat
> ironically I find memorization to be much easier when I understand what
> I'm memorizing. Kind of like Go josekis.)

You need to read policy then you understand why.

        Osamu Aoki @ Cupertino CA USA, GPG-key: A8061F32
 .''`.  Debian Reference: post-installation user's guide for non-developers
 : :' : http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/reference/ also http://qref.sf.net
 `. `'  "Our Priorities are Our Users and Free Software" --- Social Contract