Re: Download manager

On Thu, 2002-10-17 at 03:11, csj wrote:
> On 15 Oct 2002 23:36:36 +0200
> Kenneth Macdonald Karlsen <ken@fiona-victor.com> wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 2002-10-15 at 22:17, csj wrote:

> > > I prefer at + gtm.
> > >

> [snipping myself]
>
> > Have a look at lftp. Supports nearly anything, bandwidth control,
> > foreground, background, auto-nohup, ssh/scp, and https soon.
> > Its a lifesaver.
> > Kenneth
>
> Can I fire up lftp even when I don't have a connection (yet)?
I dont understand. You cant use program to connect but can run it
disconnected yes? This was probably not what you asked for. Try for your
self

 With plain
> wget, I get error messages, blah like "host not found". Another feature
> I find useful in gtm is that it "remembers" the files I've queued for
> download. So I could restart it at the last file I was downloading, etc.

so does lftp.
If interested i suggest you install it an check out:

lftp can handle six file access methods - ftp, ftps, http, https, hftp,
fish and file (https and ftps are only available when lftp is  compiled
with  openssl library). You can specify the method to use in `open URL'
command, e.g. `open http://www.us.kernel.org/pub/linux'. hftp  is
ftp-over-http-proxy  protocol.  It can be used automatically instead of
ftp if ftp:proxy is set to `http://proxy[:port]'. Fish is a protocol
work-ing over an ssh connection.

Every  operation  in  lftp  is reliable, that is any not fatal error is
ignored and the operation is repeated. So  if  downloading  breaks,it
will be restarted from the point automatically. Even if ftp server does
not support REST command, lftp will try to retrieve the file  from  the
very beginning until the file is transferred completely.

Kenneth